Monday, October 24, 2011

Corn Mazes and Pumpkin Patches


Noah and I took a trip out to Lattin Farms last weekend.  We took in all the fun times with the corn maze, the pumpkin patch and the fun crafts and fresh farm veggies.  

We were going to visit later in the evening to watch them light up their pyramid of pumpkins.  As I did more and more research online as to what was going on that day, I decided that it would be best if we went earlier in the day to catch all the fun things going on. 

The first thing that I thought would be fun to do was the make your own scarecrow tent.  We got there with about an hour to spare before they were supposed to shut it down.  I thought they would be fun small little scarecrows and we could make them quickly.  They turned out to be big, odd looking things but it didn't matter.  The booth ran out of scarecrow making kits before we got there. Apparently they sold 100 kits in the first hour that they were out there! All in all, I think it was for the better since I don't really know what I would have done with a homemade scarecrow stuffed with real straw. 

We decided to hit up the corn maze first.  I was so excited to see a field again that had real crop in it, even if it was small and a maze.  I was also extremely excited to see wispy clouds in the sky.  I was having a moment that slightly reminded me of home and I'll take any moment that I can get.  Noah just laughed at me for taking pictures of corn and the clouds.  I just couldn't get enough of them.  

The maze had a sheet of 10 questions, the answers of which were on signs throughout the maze.  Noah laughed that I knew some of them without having to find the answers in the maze.  My dad used to quiz me on tractor history and luckily for me, that was what most of the questions were about.  I mean everyone knows that the most common tractor colors are green and red, right?  Anyway, getting all the questions right got you a free cookie.  Come to find out, just turning in the sheet got you a free cookie.  We found our way out and then instead of leaving, we decided to go through it again backwards.  

After the maze, we decided to take a hayride out to the pumpkin patch and pick out some pumpkins.  There were so many to choose from.  Other than my grandma's garden, I don't think I've ever picked a pumpkin out of a field.  We had a good time being picky and finding "just the right" pumpkin. We missed the first tractor back to the yard but took the next one that came along so we didn't have to walk back with our heavy pumpkins.  Noah even picked out a few small ones for my basket for the dining room table.  He bartered with the tractor driver for them.  It was all pretty humorous.  

We then took a tour of the farm and checked out all the crafts. They had fun fall colors everywhere you looked. I just love fall.  We saw the biggest turkey either one of us had ever seen.  They had a "petting" zoo and the turkey took up most of it.  We then moved on to the "market" and bought a sweet pumpkin so I could try to make a pie from pumpkin not in a pan. (more on that later)  

The whole point to going to the farm on the day that we went was to watch them light the pumpkin pyramid.  For some reason I thought this would be epic.  They were going to light it up at dusk.  We had pretty much seen and done everything the farm had to offer by 4 o'clock and my epic pumpkin lighting dreams were crushed when I found out that they just flipped a switch.  They had light bulbs on the pyramid and just put a pumpkin on top of each bulb.  Then to light it up, they literally flipped the light switch.  Needless to say, we didn't stay for the lighting of the pumpkin pyramid.  We had a great time though getting out and exploring more of the fun random things to do around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment