We've been working on the baby's room off and on now since June. The day we got new carpet in the whole house, we decided it was time to start the project. It helped that the room was completely empty so we only had to put baby things in it instead of convert a guest room to a nursery. Neither Noah or I are real big fans of spending a lot of money on decorating so I started my exciting adventure to find things on sale, used treasures and random things around the house I could re-purpose. I have to admit that the less I spend, the more excited I get.
Our first exciting find was the baby swing. I was eying this new swing at Target for $80 and just couldn't quite get myself to spend that much. I knew it would probably get its use even for that much if we had more kids but I held off. One random Sunday I decided to randomly browse Craigslist and that is when I came across the EXACT swing in great shape for $25. I was sold. I immediately picked up the phone and we drove all the way across town to get it. Just this last weekend Noah wired it to an old phone charger so we could plug it in to the wall and not have to worry about wasting batteries. I know I am probably way more excited about a baby swing than I should be but I just love how it all came together.
Our next exciting find was a $20 glider at a garage sale. At the time of this purchase, I had no idea that those chairs brand new now run in the $300-400 range. It didn't have the footstool but I am still in love with it now and we don't even have the baby yet. Sometimes I just end up in the baby's room rocking in the chair wondering what life is going to be like a week or so.
Then I found my $5 dresser at a garage sale that we painted and put new knobs on. It makes me smile when people come to visit and can't believe that the dresser is really spray painted to look like coffee colored wood. I think I turned our $5 dresser into a $35 dresser by the time it was all said an done but since it doubles as a changing table, I call that a win win.
Everything else was re-purposed from around the house or hand made projects. I have to admit I was going to try to paint the trees on the wall myself but I eventually talked Noah into spending $20 at Target for wall stickers. Painting would have been fine but I'm tired of painting since we have repainted over half the house at this point and the texture on the wall makes it really hard to get nice straight tree lines. I am super happy with the stickers and didn't mind splurging a little.
The moose wall hanging is, I think, my proudest part of the room. I have never done anything with applique before so I thought it would be fun to try. Noah helped me cut out shapes and together we made a pretty cute moose. I got the baby fabric on sale which always makes me happy. I have to say though designing it was not my favorite. I fairly certain it is because I over think things too much. I couldn't decide what dimensions and what patterns I wanted to use. I tend to be indecisive so this part really just frustrated me. Luckily, I decided to start with the moose and then figure out the pattern. The moose made me so happy that I just went with whatever came to mind for the borders.
Then there are those silly paintings. I found these pictures online and thought they were absolutely perfect for my odd idea of a moose/owl themed baby's room. I thought that they were probably an odd pairing. Come to find out, there are actually things with both moose and owls on them out there. So being me and being cheap I decided to just imitate them. I really thought they were silly but the family consensus was that they were cute.
So now that the nursery is all done, the baby is free to come any time and by any time I mean as soon as possible.
Wow - impressive amazing room. I am proud. You and Noah have done a great job and your child will feel right at home in the new room. May the baby come very soon, healthy, happy, and full of pure joy.
ReplyDelete